Thu, 22 Aug 2019

UEFA dismiss Montenegro's appeal against racism rap

News24
24 May 2019, 04:13 GMT+10

Nyon - Montenegro will have to play one match behind closed doors after UEFA rejected on Thursday their appeal against punishment for racist abuse directed at black England players during a Euro 2020 qualifier.

European football's governing body had hit Montenegro with the fan ban last month after Raheem Sterling, Danny Rose and Callum Hudson-Odoi were targeted with monkey chants in Podgorica during a 5-1 win for Gareth Southgate's side in March.

"The appeal lodged by Football Association of Montenegro has been dismissed and therefore the UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body (CEDB) decision of 26 April is confirmed," UEFA said in a statement.

The ruling means Montenegro will play their Euro 2020 qualifier against Kosovo on June 7 in an empty stadium. They were also fined €20,000 ($22,353).

In April defender Rose insisted the punishment dished out to Montenegro by UEFA "was not harsh enough" and said he hoped he would "never have to play there again".

"I don't think it is a harsh enough punishment for someone to learn from in the future, just a one-game ban and 20,000 euros -- it's a bit shocking but there is not much I can do now," Rose said.

More Europe News

Access More

Sign up for Europe News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!